Monday, June 1, 2009

Monday, June 1, 2009 - The Day Before the Trek

11:38 p.m. Peter on the "little guh" computer as he would call it, and I on his computer blogging about the 4,200 mile trek ahead which begins tomorrow and setting up Skype so we can see each other through the webcam whenever he has internet and getting all of the last minute electronics set up and ready for the ride.

For those of you reading this who dont know what the trek is I am referring to, here's the story. Pete got laid off in April...got a nice severance from HSBC and might have had a little too much time on his hands when he got the idea after a Yankees game in NYC to ride his bike across the country...not a crotch rocket or a Harley folks, a BICYCLE from here in Richmond, Virginia to just outside of Portland, Oregon (and if he is feeling up to it by then, a ride down the Pacific Coast Highway - if he doesn't decide to throw the bike in the Pacific!!!)

This trek, for me, started out as one of those "Peter things". Peter has had his ideas to go vegan and/or vegetarian at times, which he never holds up, so this I treated the same way. I thought the idea would be gone as quickly as it came, and here we are just hours from his departure realizing that this time he shut me up and actually followed through with what everyone thought was a crazy idea.

His trek across this great land of ours was originally going to start the 17th of May, yet after much research and thought, he realized he was not yet prepared to make the journey. So after a couple trips to the library, Agee's bicycle shop here in Richmond, many long talks and days later, he is ready to hit the road and I am still trying to wrap my head around it.

Many people have asked over the last month "why on earth would he want to do that?!" Believe me folks, I have asked myself, AND HIM, the same question...and his answer to me is "Why Not??!!" What better time than now, he says, at 26, in good health and jobless with a cash reserve, to do this. This opportunity came about for a reason. He is meant to do this. As crazy as the whole idea sounds, it is admirable as all hell. If I was in his shoes, we all know I would probably go dance as much as possible wherever possible, so that is how I have tried to understand all of this. 2 months is a long time, but a lifetime of wishing is a lot longer.

So, as I dread the 6 o'clock hour tomorrow morning, I prepare to be his cheerleader for the next 45-60 days, try not to cry as I send him off and begin counting down the days until he is back here in the ol' RVA.

Bon Voyage Petey!! I Love You!!

No comments:

Post a Comment