Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A Somber Morning - The Trip Begins




9:54 a.m.




Well, he's off. He actually did it. A few tears last night and many more this morning and he is on the road (still here in Richmond at the moment, although not for long). Like I said, this trip started out as one of those crazy Pete ideas and now its actually happening. Not the easiest morning for me by a long shot. I woke a few times in the middle of the night just wishing time would stop. 6:00 was coming way to fast.




Once we reached the Shaver residence, there were a few last minute adjustments to make to the bike (headlight, tail light, etc.), another last minute adjustment to the route of the first leg of the trip which should put him right around Lynchburg by tonight. We took pictures, wished him luck and watched him set off down Turf Lane toward the river. His last words as he headed down the street to Jon, Andrea and I were "Whoa" as he wobbled a little bit on the bike!!! I jumped in the car as I felt the onset of a large load of tears and followed him. He turned down Granite Hall and then Rockfalls. I grabbed a couple quick shots of him riding and then we said our "I Love You's" then I had to stop following him.




Wednesday morning he will be in route to Lexington, VA, my home town and a.k.a. "Lex Vegas". While the mountains and towns in that neck of the woods is beautiful, it is a true test of human strength and endurance on a bike with nearly 75lbs of extra weight in the trailer and backpack. I guess this will prepare him for Colorado!




I will keep you all updated when I talk to him next!!


1 comment:

  1. notice the strategic placement of the bike helmet in each picture... no shame in those tight shorts pete!!

    ReplyDelete